Education is the exchange of skills and knowledge from an experienced or learned individual to an inexperienced individual in different settings, particularly at educational institutions like schools and colleges. Educational methods involve discussions, debates, projects, research, assignments, etc.
What are the types of Education?
- Formal Education: Teaching and learning process carried out in government or private institutes like schools and colleges in a systematic order and hierarchy beginning from playschool to college is formal Education. Classes are academically based and have a fixed syllabus and time frame. They depend on the student’s age, intelligence quotient, and progress report and are compulsory up to a certain age. Classes are conducted by qualified individuals. Levels of formal education are primary (age 5-12), secondary (age 13-15), higher secondary (age 17-18), Bachelor’s, Masters, and Ph.D.
- Non-formal Education: Non-formal and formal education vary from formal education in a way that they are not carried out in educational institutions. Non-formal education may be conducted by a qualified or nonqualified individual. It has a fixed syllabus but there is no time restraint to complete the syllabus. For example, tutoring or yoga classes.
- Informal Education: Informal Education constitutes lessons learned from daily experiences. Informal Education is taught by parents, grandparents, or siblings and takes place naturally. Some easy examples to understand this are children, learning their mother tongue from their parents or learning to cook and do laundry.
Further Education is classified based on subjects in different fields- science, mathematics, literature, etc.
Another division is based on educational methodology- student-focused in which the students play an active role and decide how they will learn when they will learn and how will they be assessed. The other is teacher-focused in which the teacher takes most of the decisions whereas the students participate passively.
Drawbacks of being Uneducated
Having an Education is one of the factors that differentiate us from animals.
- You will be unaware of your rights and this will allow others to exploit them.
- You will not be able to voice your opinions correctly.
- You will not be able to interact with other people confidently.
- You might face difficulty in finding a competent job that may satisfy all your needs.
- You will not be aware of the vast career options.
- You might not be able to distinguish between right and wrong and might end up taking a stand for wrong things.
- You might not be able to raise your children properly since children look up to and learn from their parents.
Education is thus considered a must to survive in today’s world to live a life with dignity and be a contributing member of society.